Monday, Sept. 30

IU track and field men and women compete in Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Invitational

IU competed in its first outdoor meet of the season, the Pac-12 vs. Big Ten Invitational, on Friday and Saturday in Tempe, Arizona. The Big Ten swept the Pac-12 for the men’s and women’s competitions.

The IU’s men’s team scored 81 points and finished in 4th, while the women’s team scored 57 points and finished in last. However, IU Coach Ron Helmer was more fixated on the growth his team showed this weekend.

“We had several really high-level performances, a lot of just solid performances,” Helmer said. “But we saw some growth in a number of people who are starting to figure things out, get themselves going in the right direction and set themselves up to get better and better as we move our way through the outdoor season.”

In the first event of the meet, the women’s hammer throw, a school record was broken. Senior Laura Schroeder’s final throw was 63.45 meters, breaking junior thrower Nakel McClinton’s school record by 2.64 meters and winning the event by 1.21 meters.

Senior Brianna Johnson set a Pac 12-Big Ten meet record in the women’s 3,000 meter steeplechase, winning the race in 10:26.13. Sophomore Brenna Calder moved into ninth in school history in the 1,500 meter run with a 4:23.03 time. Freshman Riley Egbula finished third in the 400 meter dash in 55.03 seconds, the tenth best time in school history.

Sophomore Daniel Kuhn, much like he did numerous times during his strong indoor season, won the men’s 800 meter run. His time of 1:46.69 is second in school history. Sophomore Eric Claxton finished second in the 3,000 meter steeplechase in 9:05.27. Sophomore Paul Galas won the high jump, with a top mark of 2.05 meters. Senior Rorey Hunter finished in second in the men’s 1,500 meter run in 3:44.20.

Hunter said it was important for him to start the season off with a strong performance like this. He said that strong start will allow him to practice other things besides simply going out and running fast in his event.

“Just trying to figure out racing tactics,” Hunter said. “I was definitely a little bit tired coming into this weekend. To come away with some good marks to start the season is a really good confidence booster.”

The entire team didn’t make the trip, however. Among the athletes that didn’t travel to Arizona were senior pole vaulters Sydney Clute and Sophie Gutermuth. Helmer said the coaching staff determined that, with Clute recovering from NCAAs and Gutermuth recovering the USA Track and Field Indoor Championships, the extra rest would benefit them.

The biggest difference between indoor and outdoor track and field is that the weather is a big factor for outdoor. This weekend, Helmer said the weather in Tempe was outstanding.

“Last year, when we went there, it was really hot,” Helmer said. “But this year, it was mid-to-high 70s, and probably couldn’t have been much better.”