Tuesday, Sept. 24

IU Wind Ensemble to perform at Carnegie Hall

The Jacobs School of Music’s Wind Ensemble will play 8 p.m. Tuesday in Carnegie Hall in New York City.

The group was invited to perform as a showcase ensemble of the New York Wind Band Festival.

The Wind Ensemble is one of the leading ensembles in the music school, and it is “one of the finest in the nation,” according to the music school’s website.

Director of bands and wind conducting Stephen Pratt will conduct the 
concert.

The program features “Four Pictures from New York” by Roberto Molinelli, “Father and Daughter” by Percy Grainger, “Circus Overture” by William Bolcom, “George Washington Bridge” by William Schuman and the “March from Symphonic Metamorphosis” by Paul Hindemith.

The concert will also include a performance by music school professor Otis Murphy, who will play a saxophone solo on “Four Pictures from New York.”

Associate Director of Bands Eric Smedley will be the guest conductor for “Father and Daughter.”

A performance at Carnegie Hall is a wonderful opportunity for students, 
Pratt said in the music school’s press release.

“Since it opened in 1891, it has been the dream of every musician to perform in Carnegie Hall with its world-renowned acoustics,” Pratt said in the release. “The list of famous musicians who have made their debut in this performance venue built like a musical instrument is 
astounding.”

Pratt said in the release that he hopes the performance is a experience the students remember for the rest of their lives.

Tickets are available on the Carnegie Hall website.