Monday, Sept. 23

African American Arts Institute to present three shows

The African American Arts Institute is presenting three shows at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater in April.

AAAI is “committed to promoting and preserving African-American culture through performance, education, creative activity, research and outreach,” according to a press release.

The events include the African American Dance Company Spring Concert, an IU Soul Revue concert and the African American Choral Ensemble 40th Anniversary Concert.

The African American Dance Company will perform April 9.

AADC, which uses dance styles of the African diaspora, demonstrates “keen vigorous expression, eloquence and class,” according to the Buskirk-Chumley website.

They perform original choreography, according to their website. The dances include a combination of modern, jazz, African and Latin American styles.

IU Soul Revue, a music ensemble featuring black popular music from the 1960s, will perform April 16.

The group has a “commanding male and female vocal ensemble, powerful horn line and tight rhythm section,” according to the Buskirk-Chumley website.

IU Soul Revue involves R&B, soul and funk music, and more contemporary styles.

The African American Choral Ensemble will perform April 30. The group sings spirituals, folk music, traditional and contemporary gospel music and works by African-American composers.

AACE “preserves the legacy of African-American choral music through transformative interpretations of this unique American art form,” according to their website.

They are celebrating the AACE Legacy, which is about “remembering the past, celebrating the present and embracing the future,” according to the Buskirk-Chumley website.

Brooke McAfee