Monday, Sept. 23

'King Lear' production to feature original pronunciation

IU associate professor Murray McGibbon will present a production of William Shakespeare’s “King Lear,” featuring the original pronunciation of the play, beginning May 5.

This will be the first “King Lear” performance with the original pronunciation since the 17th century, according to an IU Newsroom press release.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear the language as it was spoken when it was directed by Shakespeare,” McGibbon said in the release.

“King Lear” is a tragedy about a monarch whose choices have devastating effects on those around him, including his family.

This production is based on studies by linguist David Crystal, who has worked as master of pronunciation at London’s Globe Theatre. He created pronunciation guides for the cast.

Renowned South African actor Graham Hopkins will play the title character.

“Our exploration of the text in original pronunciation has revealed rhymes and cadences that make the lines ring with a newfound earthiness and resonance,” Hopkins said in the release.

Hopkins and McGibbon said in the release the 
original pronunciation should be accessible to the audience because it is less lofty than other productions.

“It delivers the feeling of the play with a stronger punch,” McGibbon said.

This version of “King Lear” is set in a dystopian landscape, which is connected to the play’s use of language, according to the release.

“They’ve lost everything, including their language,” McGibbon said in the release. “So as they cobble together the remnants of their language and society, this new — but also very old — way of speaking emerges from them.”

McGibbon has worked on his conception of “King Lear” for three years, according to the release.

McGibbon said the challenges include making the play “immediate and startling” and working with a minimal set.

“It’s a mountain that I have to climb,” McGibbon said. “It seems to be this huge, gothic cathedral of a play.”