Monday, Sept. 23

Television host plays in one-man show

Television host Marc Summers is playing in a one-man show for the Bloomington Playwrights Project.

Summers is an Indianapolis native who has been the host or co-host of about 25 shows, including Nickelodeon’s game show “Double Dare” and Food Network’s “Unwrapped,” according to TheaterMania.

The show is called “Everything In Its Place: The Life and Slimes of Marc Summers,” and it follows his beginnings as a magician, his television career and his struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder, according to the BPP website.

Performances began on April 1, and will run for the next two weekends.

“Everything In Its Place” is by Alex Brightman and directed by Chad Rabinovitz. It features original music by Drew Gasparini.

Despite his career in television, Summers said in an Indianapolis Star article that his story is relatable.

“People sometimes think that celebrities are special, but they’re not,” Summers said in the article. “That’s what I’m trying to get across, that my life is no different than anyone’s. I think it’s a show that relates to other humans.”

In the article, Summers said the writing process started with dinners with Brightman and Gasparini in which they would ask him questions about his life and career.

They gave him the script for the show after around two and a half years of these interviews.

The show is a chance to meet the real Summers, who is “a man who’s led a fascinating life of fame and frustration,” according to the BPP website.

After the show’s run in Bloomington, it will move on to the Adirondack Theatre Festival.

Summers said he enjoys appearing on-stage before a live audience, according to TheaterMania.

“And with a tip of my hat and a wink of the eye to the countless TV game shows I’ve appeared on, we anticipate that an actual game show could possibly break out in the middle of my new live show,” Summers said on TheaterMania. “In fact, members of our theater audience might even win real prizes!”

Brooke McAfee