Monday, Sept. 23

2 world-wide festivals come to Bloomington later this month

Two festivals, bringing artists from across the country and world, are coming to Bloomington during the month of July.

The 2016 Middle Coast Film Festival announced its lineup July 7. Middle Coast, Bloomington’s only interactive film festival, has scheduled its third-annual festival for July 28-30.

It will feature the most acclaimed independent films of 2016, according to a press release.

Throughout the weekend, guests can watch more than 70 short and feature films, which represent several genres such as comedy, documentary and drama, among others.

These films will screen at five different locations in downtown Bloomington. The event also includes Q&A sessions with filmmakers who will travel from around the world.

One of this year’s headliners is “The Fits,” is described as a psychological drama about a young girl on her community dance team,” according to the release. The film has received rave reviews from Rolling Stone, the New York Times, Variety and NPR.

Another headliner, “Krisha,” is “a drama about an extended family dealing with the return of their unstable aunt Krisha,” according to the release, and appeared at the South by Southwest Festival.

Krisha Fairchild, the film’s lead actress, will attend Middle Coast to speak to audiences about her work.

In addition to the film showings, there will be panels about the progression of filmmaking and women’s role in film.

“This year’s lineup includes boundary pushing, thought-provoking, and truly independent cinema,” festival director Jessica Levandoski said in the release. “Prepare to feel the full range of human emotions over the weekend.”

Less than a week prior to Middle Coast, the Balalaika and Domra Association of America comes to Bloomington July 17-23 for its 38th annual convention and festival, according to a press release.

Musicians from all over the world will come together to participate in workshops with instruction in playing their instruments, performance, folk dancing, folk chorus, mini-concerts and other activities.

The week will culminate in the festival concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 23 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The concert will be highlighted by the 80-person BDAA Russian Folk Orchestra, directed by Svetlana Nikonova.

In addition to that performance, ensembles from across the United States will perform.

For ticket information, visit www.buskirkchumley.org.

Grace Palmieri