Monday, Sept. 30

Hoosier field hockey faces quality opponents to start season

spIUFHScrim

After a remarkable performance in a scrimmage against Ball State last Saturday, IU sets its sights on No. 12 Louisville.

IU Coach Amanda Janney said she is comfortable with facing Louisville in the season opener, and intends to use this opportunity to evaluate where the Hoosiers stand among their rivals. She said she knows her offense needs to be on point to beat the Cardinals.

“It is a great first game for us. Any ACC opponent its going to be tough,” Janney said. “We are really happy to have such a talented opponent to test us out.”

An ever better defense must be paired with the strong offensive line IU needs to bring to the table. Sophomore goalkeeper Noëlle Rother gives IU some security. The German-born keeper begins her second season as a Hoosier after being chosen as Big Ten freshman of the week on three separate occasions and named Second Team All-Big Ten at season’s end.

Janney also said she is satisfied with the rapid adaptation new freshman this year have had and said at least two of them will be in the Hoosiers’ starting lineup.

“The freshmen are doing excellent. They have already contributed in many positive ways,” Janney said. “It is going to be exciting to see them add something new.”

IU Assistant Coach Kayla May will face the team she played for during college. During her time at Louisville, the Cardinals won three Big East regular season titles and had one Sweet Sixteen appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

The Hoosiers played the Cardinals at Louisville last season and lost, 3-0. Senior forward Morgan Dye said getting the win at home this weekend would be great for the team due to the prestige of the rival.

“We have lost a couple of close games to Louisville in the past couple of years,” Dye said. “It is definitely one of our hardest opponents every season, so I think it would be a good win if we can get that.”

Junior forward Maddie Latino was chosen as IU’s offensive MVP last season after scoring 10 goals and recording eight assists. Junior midfielder Taylor Pearson scored five goals in the recent scrimmage against Ball State and is shaping up to be an important offensive player for IU this season, as is senior defender Kate Barber, who was recognized as First Team All-Big Ten last season.

This weekend IU will also face Ohio University on the road. The Bobcats recently lost to the Cardinals 8-0 in a preseason exhibition and will be facing Saint Francis on Friday before playing IU on Sunday.

The game against Louisville will take place at 3 p.m. Friday at the IU Field Hockey Complex, and will be a test for the Hoosiers to see if they can be efficient on both ends of the field as they were against Ball State.

“We have to score,” Janney said. “Our attacking production needs to be good. We have to take high percentage shots and execute our corners.”