Monday, Sept. 30

Two IU swimmers win gold in 4x100

King and Miller make it seven medals for IU in the pool

Freshman Lilly King practices breastroke Dec. 7, 2015 at the Counsilman-Bilingsley Aquatic Center.

Two Hoosier swimmers made a major impact on the completion of the events in the pool for team USA at the Rio Olympic games. 

Sophomore Lilly King and IU alum Cody Miller stood on top of the podium donning gold medals around their necks, as the USA men and women’s 4x100 medley relay teams were crowned champions on Saturday night.

King earned her second gold medal of the Olympics, swimming the breaststroke leg for the Americans in the relay. While Miller also swam the breaststroke for the men, earning his first gold medal of the games and second medal overall.

The US women finished with a time of 3:53.13 in their relay, giving America its 1,000th career gold medal in Olympic history. King split a 1:05.70 on her swim as the second leg on the relay, keeping her team in excellent position to finish in first.

Miller spilt a time of 59.03 in his final Rio race, touching the wall in second place as Michael Phelps dove into the pool to secure his 23rd and possibly last gold medal of his Olympic career.

The two gold medals on Saturday night capped off a seven-medal performance by IU swimmers in Rio. This marks the most medals for the IU swimming and diving program in a single Olympics since earning 16 medals in 1972.

Overall the Hoosiers have now won 69 medals in Olympic swimming history, including 39 gold, 10 silver and 20 bronze medals. 

Zain Pyarali