Monday, Sept. 30

Florida talent commits to IU

Michael Ziemba became IU’s second commitment in three days this morning.

The 247Sports Composite three-star recruit out of Lake Mary High School in Florida is ranked as the No. 63 tight end in the 2017 class, but will enter the mix as a defensive end when he begins his college career in Bloomington.

Ziemba, who is listed at 6-3, 245, received an offer from IU in May and took an unofficial visit this past June. His commitment and projected spot at defensive end makes him the 12th member of IU’s 2017 class and seventh along the defensive line.

IU linebackers coach William Inge is listed by 247Sports as Ziemba’s primary recruiter, and defensive line coach Mark Hagen his secondary. Hagen was a part of IU Coach Kevin Wilson’s staff early in Wilson’s tenure in Bloomington, and joined up again in February after spending three years at Texas A&M.

Ziemba currently holds 22 offers, and outside of IU the list includes Big Ten rival Purdue, Cincinnati, Syracuse and Temple.

He is the fourth prospect from Florida to commit to IU, joining offensive tackle Tyler Knight, linebacker Thomas Allen and defensive end Tramar Reece.

Reece is big on both the offensive and defensive experience Ziemba brings to the table.

"I feel like he could help us on either side of the ball," Reece said. "He's going to be a huge part of our success."

Jordan Guskey