Monday, Sept. 30

FINAL: No. 2 Ohio State defeats IU 38-17

spIUFB

IU's matchup with No. 2 Ohio State started off strong.

On the third play from scrimmage, senior Ohio State quarterback JT Barrett fumbled a toss to freshman running back Mike Weber, and the ball was recovered by junior defensive lineman Pat Dougherty.

The Hoosiers took the ball from Ohio State’s 25-yard-line to the 5-yard-line before the drive stalled on three consecutive running plays. Junior kicker Griffin Oakes hit the 22-yard field goal, and the Hoosiers led the Buckeyes 3-0.

After a long 10-play, 51-yard drive, Ohio State was not able to break the goal line and was forced to settle with a field goal. The score was tied 3-3.

The score would remain tied after the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter, IU junior quarterback Richard Lagow was stripped from behind as he escaped the pocket, and the ball was recovered by Ohio State at IU’s 9-yard line. The Buckeyes took the lead for the first time in the game, 10-3, with 10:47 to go in the first half.

Thanks to a 22-yard rush by senior H-back Curtis Samuel, Ohio State was able to score on a 5-yard rush up the middle by Samuel again. Ohio State extended its lead to 17-10.

After favorable field position at their own 48-yard line, the Hoosiers ran the ball into a 3rd-and-6, when Lagow dumped the ball to senior receiver Ricky Jones for a long conversion. He then found senior receiver Mitchell Paige down the center of the field to narrow the Ohio State lead to 17-10.

On the ensuing kickoff, Ohio State sophomore Parris returned the ball all the way to IU’s 6-yard line, and the Buckeyes punched it in from six yards out on a Barrett rush to the left.

Ohio State led IU, 24-10, at halftime.

IU started its first second-half drive on its own 11-yard line and drove 89 yards down the field in 13 plays, in a drive that ended on a 7-yard touchdown pass from Lagow to junior tight end Danny Friend. The Buckeyes led 24-17 with 9:59 left in the third quarter.

Ohio State scored on its first drive as well, running every single play on a 13-play, 85-yard drive that took 6:11 off the clock. The Buckeyes were up by two scores once again, 31-17, mid-way through the third quarter.

Freshman defensive back A’Shon Riggins recorded his first career interception and returned the ball to Ohio State’s 13-yard line in the fourth quarter. On four plays from scrimmage, IU was unable to come up with a first down or a score, and Ohio State took over, leading 31-17, after the missed opportunity by the Hoosiers.

In an attempt to narrow the two-score lead, the Hoosiers attempted a fourth-down conversion form Lagow to Jones, but the senior was unable to hang on to the ball, giving Ohio State favorable field position on the IU 33-yard line.

The Buckeyes drove down the field in four plays and scored on a 37-yard pass from Barrett to senior receiver Dontre Wilson.

The Buckeyes maintained their 38-17 lead and capped it off with a late interception by Malik Hooker.

Ohio State pushed its record to 5-0, while IU dropped to 3-2.

Final stats:

QB Richard Lagow: 14-28, 182 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

RB Devine Redding: 22 carries, 78 yards

WR Mitchell Paige: 4 catches, 44 yards, 1 TD