Sunday, Sept. 29

Two Hoosiers receive Big Ten weekly awards

soiufb v Nebraska

IU freshman running back Tyler Natee and junior linebacker Marcus Oliver were honored by the Big Ten Conference on Monday for their performances in IU’s win over Maryland this past weekend.

Natee was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week after he racked up 111 yards on the ground and a touchdown on 18 carries. It was the Texas native’s first 100-yard game as a Hoosier.

Oliver’s eight tackles, two and a half of which were for loss; two sacks; and two forced fumbles earned him the Big Ten co-Defensive Player of the Week award. The two sacks formed Oliver’s first career multi-sack game, up his total to three on the season and tie him for the team lead in sacks with sophomore defensive lineman Nile Sykes.

The two forced fumbles, the second of which led to Natee’s rushing touchdown, increased Oliver’s career total to 11 and set the new program record for career forced fumbles.

The awards give IU its first Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor since freshman husky Marcelino Ball received the award for his eight tackles and one interception against Ball State on Sept. 10, and first Defensive Player of the Week since John Pannozzo in 2005.

The Hoosiers take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Nov. 5 in Piscataway, New Jersey. IU is 4-4 overall and 2-3 in the Big Ten, while Rutgers is 2-6 overall and 0-5 in the Big Ten.

The two teams have one common opponent thus far, No. 6 Ohio State. Both the Scarlet Knights and Hoosiers lost on the road to the Buckeyes in Columbus, Ohio, with Rutgers losing 58-0 and IU 38-17.