Saturday, Sept. 21

COLUMN: Stretch but don't snap

Let’s face it. We all have those days when we can’t be bothered to do anything, even love ourselves. College students have much to stress and worry about.

We have bills to pay, jobs and classes to go to, and homework to finish. For some, this isn’t out of the ordinary. For others, it’s a whole new ball game. Regardless of whether or not it’s your first time paying rent or having a job, it can still royally suck.

That being said, we must make time to love ourselves. We have to appreciate our bodies and our minds and be good to them. We have to challenge ourselves. We have to stretch but not snap. Push yourself to where it’s a little uncomfortable but doesn’t cause too much pain.

What is self-love, though? Well, that’s up to you, honestly. You can interpret it however you so choose. I have a few ideas for you to get started.

Eat healthy things. When you consume junk, you’re going to feel like junk. Trust me. I have a sweet tooth, and I love my junk food, but it doesn’t really do anything for me besides make me feel crappy a few hours later.

Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Eat a banana or apple. Maybe make yourself a smoothie, or buy one somewhere. Whatever works for you.

Go to bed. Sleep is very underrated. As young adults, we need roughly nine hours of sleep per night. I know that’s hard to do sometimes with work and classes, but at least try to get a few sleep cycles in.

One complete sleep cycle amounts to about three hours of sleep. Try to get a few of those in every night. If you deprive your body of the rest and sleep it needs, you’re going to be falling asleep in class, and no one wants that.

Exercise is important, too. You don’t need to go out and run 10 miles a day. Walk to class instead of taking that A Bus. Maybe take an evening stroll. Go to the gym on campus and make your gym fee actually count for the semester.

Self-love is about loving yourself and doing what’s right for your body. I mean, you only get one of those, so you might as well treat it well.

There are plenty of students on this campus. Chances are you can find someone, a new friend, to help you stay on the right track. Find a gym buddy. Find an art buddy.

Do what makes you happy. If you love painting, paint. If you love taking photos, go out and take some killer ones.

Self-love is more than just a physical thing. It’s a mental state as well. You need to be conscious of your surroundings and find the things that make you happy.

Stop making excuses and just do the thing. Join the club that you’re afraid of joining. Strive for greatness and strive for loving yourself. Better yourself.

bnbauern@umail.iu.edu