Sunday, Sept. 29

Kevin Wilson joins Ohio State coaching staff

spIUFB

Former IU head coach Kevin Wilson is set to become an offensive coordinator for the Ohio State Buckeyes, a source confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student. This gives each program's season opener in 2017 a little extra flare as Ohio State travels to Bloomington on Aug. 31.

The move was first reported by Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports. 

Wilson spent the last six seasons in Bloomington before “philosophical differences” between himself and IU Athletics Director Fred Glass led to his resignation. He coached the Hoosiers to a 26-47 record from 2011 to 2016, and appeared in one bowl game, a 44-41 overtime loss to Duke in the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

While Wilson’s first season at the helm saw IU finish with a 1-11 record and zero conference wins, the Hoosiers steadily improved and saw back-to-back .500 finishes in the 2015 and 2016 regular seasons. Due to his resignation, Wilson did not coach in the 2016 Foster Farms Bowl. Instead, IU Coach Tom Allen made his head coaching debut in a 26-24 loss to Utah.

Wilson has also served as an offensive coordinator at Oklahoma (2002-10), Northwestern (1999-2001), Miami University (1992-98) and North Carolina A&T (1988). While with the Sooners in 2008, he won the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.

That season Oklahoma’s offense boasted a 3,500-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and a 1,000-yard receiver, and in 2015 while Wilson coached IU the Hoosiers’ offense repeated the feat.

Wilson will still receive a one year base salary of $542,000 from IU.

Jordan Guskey