Sunday, Sept. 29

Tom Allen fills vacancies on offensive coaching staff

IU Athletics Director Fred Glass and Tom Allen sit at the desk at a press conference announcing Kevin Wilson's resignation in December. As head coach, Allen has already started making changes to the coaching staff.

IU Coach Tom Allen officially announced former Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike DeBord as the same position for the Hoosiers on Wednesday, according to an IU Athletics press release.

Along with filling the offensive coordinator vacancy, Allen confirmed that former Ole Miss wide receivers coach Grant Heard will coach the same position for IU, and Shawn Watson, who was promoted from quality control to quarterbacks coach for the Foster Farms Bowl, will remain at the promoted position for the 2017 season.

"Mike, Grant and Shawn are men of high character and strong leadership," Allen said in the release. "They share my philosophies on how to build up and motivate young men. They will get our players to compete at the highest level."

The hires fill the void left behind by the release of former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns, who was relieved of his position Monday. Johns coached quarterbacks and wide receivers in addition to his responsibilities as offensive coordinator.

He was with the program for six seasons, three as offensive coordinator.

Allen also released former IU tight ends and fullbacks coach James Patton. His position has yet to be filled.

"I would like to thank Kevin Johns and James Patton for their service to Indiana." Allen said. "Kevin is a tremendous coach and a fine person. He has a great family and I want to wish them the very best. I appreciate James and all of his hard work over the past four years. He is another strong coach with a great family. Again, I wish them nothing but the best."

Allen said in the release that he was looking for a coach that can be the head coach of the offense after previously admitting he will keep his hands off the offense as much as possible. DeBord brings that confidence and resume to the table, Allen said.

DeBord has 35 years of coaching experience and spent the last two seasons at Tennessee, coaching the offense to two consecutive bowl victories.

In 2016, the Volunteers set records for the most touchdowns (63) and the most total points (473) in program history. DeBord’s offense was top-four in the SEC in scoring, passing, rushing and total offense and finished 24th in the nation in scoring with 36.4 points per game.

Under DeBord, Tennessee finished 2016 ranked 33rd in redzone offense. IU was ranked 126.

DeBord coached five seasons in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks and the Chicago Bears and was the head coach at Central Michigan for four seasons. He also spent several years with Michigan.

"As a native Hoosier, I am extremely excited about working for Tom Allen and joining the Indiana University football program during one of its most exciting times," DeBord said in the release.

Heard has spent the last five seasons at Ole Miss and is considered “one of the top wide receivers coaches in the country” by Allen, as the two have worked together at Ole Miss, Arkansas State and Lambuth.

Heard coached current Minnesota Viking Laquon Treadwell and current Indianapolis Colt Donte Moncrief, as well as Cincinnati Bengal Cody Core.

Treadwell broke 15 school records in 2015 when the Ole Miss receiving corps was one of the best in the nation, breaking nearly every offensive school record and leading the SEC in scoring, passing and total offense.

Heard will be coaching IU wide receivers and “coordinate the passing game,” Allen said.

"I am extremely thrilled and blessed to join the Indiana football program," Heard said in the release. "To be able to come and work for Tom Allen is an honor for me and my family. I've worked with Tom for a number of years, know what he is all about and believe in what he stands for.”

Watson had been on the IU staff as quality control since the spring of 2016 after two seasons as offensive coordinator at Texas. Like DeBord, Watson has 35 years of coaching experience with his most recent success as Louisville’s offensive coordinator in 2011-13, when he helped the Cardinals to a cumulative 30-9 record.

The quarterbacks coach has spent time at Illinois, Northwestern, Colorado and Nebraska as well.

Watson helped mentor current Minnesota Viking quarterback Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville and has coached in 16 bowl games.

"It's an honor to be able to stay here at Indiana with Coach Allen, who in a short period of time I've developed a fondness for his passion and his philosophy," Watson said in the release. "At the same time, I'm really excited to work for Mike DeBord, who is one of my closest and dearest friends in football.”

Taylor Lehman