Sunday, Sept. 29

Tom Allen selects new offensive coordinator

IU Athletics Director Fred Glass and Tom Allen sit at the desk at a press conference announcing Kevin Wilson's resignation in December. As head coach, Allen has already started making changes to the coaching staff.

Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike DeBord will come to IU and fill the Hoosiers' vacant offensive coordinator position, the Indiana Daily Student has confirmed. The hire was first reported by 247Sports.

[Tom Allen fills vacancies on offensive coaching staff | IDS]

DeBord coached for two seasons at Tennessee under head coach Butch Jones. The Volunteers went 9-4 in both seasons and climbed the polls to as high as No. 9 on the AP Poll.

Tennessee appeared in and won two bowls with DeBord — the 2015 Outback Bowl and 2016 Music City Bowl.

In 2016, the Volunteer offense was ranked 40th in the nation in total offense, including the 37th-best rushing offense and the 33rd-best redzone offense. By comparison, the Hoosiers' total offense ranked 56th and included the 92nd ranked rushing offense and 126th redzone offense.

DeBord spent five seasons in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks and the Chicago Bears as a position coach. He was head coach at Central Michigan for four seasons and has coaching experience at Ball State, Colorado State, Northwestern and Michigan.

DeBord started his coaching career in 1982 at Franklin College in Indiana and was voted into the Indiana Football Hall of Fame in 1995.

IU’s offensive coordinator position became vacant after former coordinator Kevin Johns was relieved of his duties Monday. Former tight ends and fullbacks coach James Patton was also let go Monday.

Taylor Lehman