Sunday, Sept. 29

Hoosiers win two of three without star player

Sports Filler

IU was without its no. 1 doubles and singles player, sophomore Madison Appel, this weekend and still came away with two wins in three matches.

The Hoosiers started out Saturday against Miami (Ohio) and lost a tough match 4-3. IU Coach Ramiro Azcui said the loss of Appel, who was sick with the flu, disrupted his planning for the weekend’s 
matches.

“It was a very tough weekend overall, playing without our No. 1 player,” Azcui said. “It changed everything for us, from doubles to singles.”

Without having the no. 1 doubles team consisting of senior Kim Schmider and Appel, IU had to switch up its doubles combinations and was forced to use pairings that IU hasn’t used this season.

Schmider teamed with sophomore Caitlin Bernard at the No.1 doubles spot. At the No. 2 spot it was senior Paula Gutierrez and freshman 
Pauline Jahren, and rounding out the No. 3 spot was senior Alicia Robinson and freshman Emma Love.

“It definitely changed the complexity of all our matches,” Azcui said. “It was very challenging, but I’m proud of how they responded to it.”

After the loss to Miami, Gutierrez said the team met up later Saturday night and talked about the need to bring a lot of energy Sunday.

IU did just that by defeating Western Kentucky 4-2 and Evansville 4-3 in a pair.

“The girls were really nervous this morning,” Gutierrez said Sunday. “But I think that they handled it fine and played really well.”

Fatigue was not an issue for the Hoosiers, Gutierrez said. In particular, she said the team owes a lot of credit for its stamina to athletic trainer Kelly Babcock.

“After the match this morning we all went to the treatment room,” Gutierrez said. “We did the same thing Saturday night, and it just helps us get ready for the next match.”

IU improved to 5-2 on the season with the wins and will have its first road match next weekend at Tennessee. Azcui said the Hoosiers hope to have everyone back for that 
match.

“The loss to Miami is going to put us in position to prepare for the upcoming matches,” Azcui said. “Conditioning wise, I think they are doing fine. I keep challenging them and they keep responding to it 
well.”