Sunday, Sept. 29

IU baseball wins series-opener against Florida Atlantic

Junior Austin Cangelosi, left, taps helmets with his teammates after scoring his second home run of the night against Butler on Wednesday at Bart Kaufman field. The Hoosiers beat the Bulldogs with a score of 27-1.

After scoring 19 runs in four games during their opening weekend in Arizona, the Hoosiers started their 3-game series in Boca Raton, Florida, against the Florida Atlantic Owls in high-scoring fashion with an 8-4 victory.

Sophomore starting pitcher Jonathan Stiever received substantial run support from IU on Friday after the Hoosiers were unable to score any runs for him in his first start of the season. 

While recording eight hits and seven walks in the game, the Hoosiers scored eight runs against the Owls and stranded just a handful of baserunners.

The majority of IU’s eight runs came via the long ball, as seniors Austin Cangelosi and Craig Dedelow, along with sophomore Ryan Fineman, all hit home runs in the game.

Junior Laren Eustace, sophomore Luke Miller and freshman Jake Matheny all knocked in runs as well, and Fineman and freshman Jeremy Houston were the only Hoosier to have multiple hits. 

Stiever continued his strong early-season performance, allowing just two runs off of two solo homers. The sophomore starter also posted career highs with six innings pitched and seven strikeouts.

IU freshman pitcher Cal Krueger relieved Stiever and pitched two innings while giving up one hit. Junior pitcher Kade Kryzsko closed out the game but surrendered a 2-run home run.

IU takes a 3-2 record into the remaining two games of the series against FAU. The two teams play again Saturday at 4 p.m.

Taylor Lehman