Sunday, Sept. 29

IU struggles offensively in loss at Florida Atlantic

Freshman outfielder Luke Miller swings his bat during the game against Ball State on Wednesday night at Bart Kaufman field. The Hoosiers won 4-3.

In the second game of the weekend in Boca Raton, Florida, IU was defeated 6-2 by Florida Atlantic on Saturday to even the series at one win apiece. 

IU struggled to reach base, as Florida Atlantic pitcher Jake Miednik allowed just two runs on five hits in eight innings pitched.

The junior struck out seven Hoosiers and picked up the win. Miednik began his college career at Walters State and was named the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Pitcher of the Year in 2016.

Three of IU’s five hits came off the bat of Luke Miller, who played first base. The sophomore went 3-4 with a home run and two runs batted in.

Offense was not an issue for the Owls, who tallied 12 hits and scored six runs. The team got a huge boost from the leadoff spot, as shortstop Tyler Frank went 5-5 with a home run, two runs batted in and three runs scored.

Florida Atlantic had its home run swing ready as catcher Pedro Pages also hit a jack for the home team.

IU’s starting pitcher, Tim Herrin, allowed four runs on six hits in four innings. Freshman Andrew Saalfrank, who started last Sunday’s game for the Hoosiers, came in to replace Herrin and pitched the remainder of the game while giving up two runs. 

Only one of his runs allowed was earned, and he scattered six hits across four innings out of the bullpen.

Sunday’s contest between the teams will serve as the series’ rubber match as IU seeks to move back above .500 for the season.

Spencer Davis