Sunday, Sept. 29

Women's tennis doubles pair ranked nationally

Doubles partners Madison Appel and Kim Schmider celebrate Sunday after defeating the No. 1 doubles team in the country, 6-4. The duo is now ranked 19th among all doubles pairs in the NCAA.

The new Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings released Tuesday put doubles pair IU senior Kim Schmider and sophomore Madison Appel in the top 60 for the first time this season, coming in at No. 19 after they beat two ranked opponents this past weekend.

Schmider and Appel began the weekend against the No. 32-ranked doubles team of Brooke Broda and Monica Robinson from Notre Dame and defeated them 6-3.

The following day, 
Aldila Sutjiadi and Mami Adachi from No. 25 Kentucky came to Bloomington as the top-ranked doubles pair in the country, and the Hoosier duo defeated 
them 6-4.

With the loss to Schmider and Appel, Sutjiadi and Adachi dropped to No. 5 in the national doubles 
rankings.

The sophomore-senior combo of Schmider and Appel has an overall record of 21-2 this season, including a 5-0 record in dual meet action. This is the first year these two have teamed up in their careers.

The duo has had winning streaks of seven and eight games this season, and is currently riding another six-game win streak with two matches on tap this 
weekend.

The Hoosiers have a pair of home matches this weekend against DePaul and IUPUI, and Schmider and Appel have the chance to pick up two more wins and continue their climb up the rankings.