Monday, Sept. 23

First Thursdays celebrate world culture, Women's History Month

Arts Filler

March’s First Thursday celebration will include an emphasis on Women’s History Month and world cultures through a variety of programming throughout the evening.

First Thursday starts at 5 p.m. Thursday at the Fine Arts Plaza and includes programming that spans the realms of music, art and a series of speakers, according to a news release.

The main stage music events include shows by the Vallures, who perform a mix of classic 60s hits as well as their own original music. Ladies First, an award winning a capella group, will take the microphone next.

The night will be rounded out by visiting artists Lily & Madeleine, the indie-folk musicians based out of 
Indianapolis.

Local groups will also contribute to the sounds of the evening. Kaia, a Bloomington-based band made up of seven female performers celebrating world culture by performing in 25 languages, will provide further diverse musical styling, according to the release.

The Eskenazi Museum of Art will celebrate with tours, games and scavenger hunts, as well as face painting with the African Students Association and henna done by the Indian Students Association.

The Lilly Library will 
celebrate the Women’s 
History Month part of First Thursday with a rarely exhibited collection of children’s literature and more than 16,000 miniature books.

First Thursday will also feature dinner served around Showalter Fountain at the center of the festival, according to the release. Chef David Tallent will pay tribute to famous female chefs including Edna Lewis, Elizabeth Davis and Alice Waters, with dishes including chocolate mousse and goat cheese crouton.

The night will round out with a talk by acclaimed author Ha Jin, who will deliver his lecture at 8 p.m. in the Grunwald Gallery.