Monday, Sept. 23

"Great Comet" is a great cast album

ENTER MUS-GROBAN TB

Of the major award shows, the Tony Awards are the least accessible. We can listen to albums or watch movies, but not all of us can go to New York City to see Broadway shows. Luckily, original Broadway cast albums can bridge this gap and allow people to explore the richness of contemporary musicals.

This is especially the case with “Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812,” a musical nominated for 12 Tony Awards. The show’s fantastic choreography and beautiful visuals might make you think you’d have to actually watch it, but you can have an excellent experience listening to its cast album.

“Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812” is an adaptation of sections from “War and Peace.” Young Natasha visits Moscow, where the dashing Anatole tries to get her to run away with him. Meanwhile, her family’s friend Pierre Bezukhov desperately searches for meaning in his life.

Listening to this cast album is such a fulfilling experience. This musical is almost entirely sung-through, which makes the plot accessible. The production value is so high that you can hear a minor sound effect, like clapping, very clearly.

There is something for everyone on this album. If you don’t like Russian folk music, you can dance along to the electronic sections. Composer and lyricist Dave Malloy uses so many different musical styles that you’re bound to be introduced to something new and exciting.

The instrumentation on this album is a lot like the music. There are conventional instruments such as the piano, which Or Matias expertly plays. But there are also more eccentric instruments such as the accordion, which Groban played onstage.

The most high profile artist on this album is Josh Groban. He plays Bezukhov and does a fantastic job at capturing his character’s anxiety and desperation. His solo song “Dust and Ashes” is a perfect showcase for his operatic voice.

One of my favorite performers on this album is Denée Benton. Her luminous and clear voice is perfect for the part of Natasha. Even her humming is melodically sweet and delightful.

The size of the ensemble changes from song to song. Some numbers make use of the large company, such as “Prologue.” Other numbers are solos, such as the excellent “Sonya Alone.” One of the most moving songs is a duet called “Pierre & Natasha.”

The supporting cast is uniformly excellent. Brittain Ashford has a beautifully distinctive voice as Natasha’s cousin Sonya. Lucas Steele makes great use of his fantastic falsetto as Anatole.

There’s a good chance that you’ll never see “Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812” live. But you can enjoy the story and the beautiful music through its vivid cast album. It is a rich experience that you won’t soon forget.