Monday, Sept. 23

George Takei to give talk at IU Auditorium

takei

IU Auditorium recently announced a new addition to its 2017-18 season. Actor and activist George Takei will give a talk titled “Diversity, Difference, Otherness: An Evening with George Takei" at 7 p.m. Sept. 9, according to the auditorium website.Takei is best known for his role of Mr. Sulu in the original "Star Trek" series.    

Takei spent four years of his childhood in a United States internment camp for Japanese-Americans during World War II, according to the auditorium website. Takei’s latest project is a Broadway play titled, “Allegiance,” which focuses on the story of a Japanese-American family, who during World War II are forced into internment.   

After coming out as gay in 2005, Takei has become heavily involved in civil and LGBT rights. Takei has written essays for the New York Times and the Washington Post, according to auditorium website.   

Tickets for the event go on sale to the public 10 a.m. Aug. 29, but IU staff and students can purchase tickets before. The offer is available starting Aug. 22, and tickets are $5 for IU students and $10 for staff. 

The event is organized by Themester 2017: Diversity, Difference, Otherness and Union Board. It is co-sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, Union Board, the Media School, the Arts & Humanities Council and the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs.  

Katie Chrisco