Saturday, Sept. 28

Hoosiers shake off cobwebs on Cream and Crimson Day

sp-iuvb02.jpg

An alumni match, a team scrimmage and a meet-and-greet for fans were all part of the annual Cream and Crimson Day for IU volleyball Saturday.

This was the eleventh consecutive year of the event and the first year it featured an alumni match. The alumni's years of attendance at IU ranged from 1981 to 2016. Diane Catron (1981-1983), Patricia Zumerchik (1983-1986) and Erin Heimann-Evans (1996-1999) were the alumni that graduated before 2000. 

Other alumni from the early 2000s, as well as more recent graduates like 2010 All-American Ashley Benson and Taylor Lebo, who graduated last year, also made appearances.  

After the match, fans in the crowd were able to play on the court for a bit before the 2017 team came out for a Q&A session. 

Each player said her name, number, position and hometown, and afterward the fans asked the players a range of questions. The players responded by describing where they used to play club volleyball and what their expectations were for the upcoming season.  

It was then time for the Cream versus Crimson scrimmage. Team Crimson won the first set 25-23, but Team Cream took the second 25-18. The coaches decided to have them play one more set to 15 points, which Team Crimson took 15-12 to win the scrimmage.  

After the scrimmage, the fans came onto the court, took pictures and received autographs from the team.

From here on out, it's all business for the Hoosiers as they host the Indiana Invitational Aug. 25-26 to kick off their season.   

Dylan Wallace