Friday, Sept. 27

sports golf

Men's golf promotes Corey Ziedonis

042718BigTenMgolf1534_Gaesser_Ziedonis.JPG

IU head coach Mike Mayer announced Tuesday that assistant coach Corey Ziedonis has been promoted to associate head coach.

Ziedonis, a former golfer under Mayer, came back into the program in 2015 after graduating from IU in 2013.

Ziedonis has been credited with improving the Hoosiers' top players, mainly juniors Jake Brown and Brock Ochsenreiter, in scoring averages and helping Brown make a deep postseason run in the NCAA Regional Championship. 

Ziedonis played for the Hoosiers from 2009-2013, becoming an All-American Scholar by the Golf Coaches Association of America his senior year. 

In his four years with the team, he played in the NCAA Regional every year and finished in the top 25 three times. 

He also showed up in the Big Ten Tournament every year he played and helped the Hoosiers to a second place finish in 2012.

The Indianapolis-native spent two seasons as a graduate assistant for Ball State and also spent time as a player relations manager on the Golfweek Junior Tour in the first half of 2014. 

After that, he joined the University of Virginia’s golf program as an assistant coach. 

Ziedonis, Mayer and the rest of the team, will start their season at the Fuzzy Zoeller Invitational Sept. 8-9 at Champions Pointe Golf Club in Henryville, Indiana.