Thursday, Sept. 19

business & economy bloomington

IU alumnus opening smoothie bowl restaurant in Bloomington

Dragon Bowl.jpg

A 20-year-old Kelley School of Business graduate is opening a fruit and smoothie bowl restaurant, Rush Bowls, in February across from Memorial Stadium. 

Ethan White wanted to open an original business and try to run it himself, but he didn’t have an idea for something new. He began looking for a franchise in 2017. He came across Rush Bowls online that summer and drove to the nearest location in Nashville, Tennessee to try the bowls for himself. 

He brought bowls back with him to Indiana to share with family and friends. When everyone, himself included, loved the food, he knew he wanted to be a part of Rush Bowls, he said. 

Rush Bowls was founded in 2004 in Boulder, Colorado, and began franchising in 2017. The fast-casual restaurant chain offers more than 40 customizable fruit and vegetable smoothies and bowls topped with granola, honey and more. 

“Our number one priority is 100 percent all-natural nutrition,” Rush Bowls founder and CEO Andrew Pudalov said in a press release. “Our meals are crafted from the finest fruits and vegetables, we hand-grind our own peanut butter and make our jam in house.”

White graduated in December 2018 with a degree in finance. He spent four regular semesters and two summers taking classes so he could graduate as quickly as possible. He said he was eager to finish his degree and put his business skills to work. 

In October 2017, White committed to opening three Indiana franchises of Rush Bowls. The first of the three locations is set to open in early February at 1421 N. Dunn St., in the first floor of the Evolve apartment complex. White is considering locations near Indianapolis and West Lafayette, Indiana for the other two stores. 

White said he is most excited about giving the Bloomington community an option that’s both quick and healthy. Customers will be able to walk in, order at a counter and see their smoothie or bowl blended in front of them. He said his favorite is the Beach Bowl, made with acai, mango, banana and guava juice.  

His goal is to get bowls to customers just two to three minutes after they order, he said. 

“I have a passion for health and wellness, and I see Rush Bowls as an opportunity to bring value to my community,” White said.