Saturday, Sept. 21

arts jacobs school of music performances

Jacobs New Music Ensemble recital to premiere two new compositions

entmusic022519

Two new pieces will premiere at the Jacobs New Music Ensemble recital at 8 p.m. Feb. 28 in Auer Hall. 

The first new piece, “In the Desert” by Matthew Recio, an associate instructor in music theory and doctorate student, was commissioned after Recio won the Georgina Joshi Composition Commission Award. 

The award is given to a student composer to support new work for solo voice and instrumental ensemble music. This will mark the first time the piece is being played. 

“Conquering Sun” by Kyle Peter Rotolo will be the second piece performed for the first time. Rotolo is the recipient of the Dean’s Prize Commission, which is presented with the Georgina Joshi Composition Commission Award. 

In addition to these two pieces, the concert will feature the pieces “Sea Change” and “Becoming,” a piano solo and chamber ensemble piece. 

The recital will be directed by David Dzubay, professor of music and chair of the composition department. Dzubay’s pieces have been performed around the world, from Asia to Europe. 

The event will also feature Winston Choi as a guest artist. Choi is head of the piano program at Roosevelt University’s Chicago College of Performing Arts.

Jeffrey Mumford will also be a guest composer at the recital. Mumford’s compositions have been performed by many major orchestras around the world. 

The New Music Ensemble recital is a free event.