Saturday, Sept. 7

arts music

A spotlight on a new a cappella group

entacapella .jpg

As the IU Union Board a cappella showcase announced Hoosier Hum, a group of nine students dressed in black and white walked onto the stage and stood tall. They represented hours of rehearsals, years of singing and an endless amount of trust and friendship. 

Hoosier Hum is a newly founded organization aimed to create a comfortable and close-knit environment for those passionate about music. 

“Hoosier Hum has a different style, and freshmen shouldn’t hesitate — it will definitely help them step out of their comfort zone and work on their collaboration skills,” Gautham Sharma, a returning member and experienced singer, said.  

Speaking from years of experience in classical Indian music, known as Carnatic Music originating from South India, Sharma enjoyed stepping out of his comfort zone to sing with the group. 

“The bond the group members have is really strong and one-of-a-kind," Sharma said. "Especially on stage with the adrenaline and the rush of energy doing the thing you love the most with the people you love."  

Being a relatively new a cappella group is tough at a university with many similar groups. However, the aim of this group isn’t the same as what has been seen before. What makes them different is the style of music that they sing.

“We’re all people who really love music, and we want an outlet to be able to express that love through performance,” said Archit Bhatia, president of Hoosier Hum.

They combine the different types of sounds and styles they grew up hearing in South Asian culture with their passion for music and performance, which really makes Hoosier Hum stand out among a cappella groups. 

The different styles include: Bollywood, pop, R&B and a rap segment along with beatboxers. They’ve even added in a guitar segment to complete the piece. 

Hoosier Hum is looking forward to the upcoming school year and is open to students of any race or gender who are musically inclined toward Bollywood Fusion. Everyone is welcome, even if they think they might not be able to sing.

Auditions for Hoosier Hum will be Sept. 7 and 8. The group hopes to catch the eye of ambitious and passionate students who want to sing with a group that prides itself in being loving and kind.