Wednesday, Sept. 25

IU names former player as new assistant coach

spiubbassischbrief082019

A former IU men’s basketball player is coming back to the program as an assistant coach.

The program announced Thursday that Mike Roberts, who played from 2001-2005 for IU, would be joining Archie Miller’s staff. Roberts will replace Ed Schilling, who was on the staff for two seasons.

Roberts most recently served as the associate head coach for eight seasons at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. During his tenure, UNCG reached the 20-win mark the last three seasons, and he helped guide the program to 29 wins last year. The Spartans were also the No. 1 overall seed in the National Invitational Tournament.

“Mike is someone who I think can have a great impact on our program,” IU head coach Archie Miller said in an IU Athletics press release. “He has played an important role in establishing a championship culture at UNCG and his love for Indiana basketball is very evident. I think he brings outstanding qualities to every facet of what we were looking for in this position.”

As a Hoosier, Roberts was a part of three NCAA Tournament teams including the 2002 NCAA Tournament runner-up. He was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten Conference honoree and was the team captain in 2005.

Roberts also spent a year as a graduate assistant coach at Texas Tech University under former IU head coach and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight once he was done with his IU playing career.

“I’m thrilled for the opportunity to come back to my home state and the city of Bloomington and appreciate that Coach Miller would like me to return to be a part of the IU family,” Roberts said in an IU Athletics press release. “Without a doubt, IU was a place that helped shape me, and I’m honored to be able to give back to this basketball program and University.”