Tuesday, Sept. 24

sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer’s Jack Maher and Roman Celentano collect weekly honors

spiumsbrief101519.jpg

Following a successful week for IU men’s soccer that saw it record back-to-back shutouts against then-No. 16 University of Kentucky and Michigan, two IU players were rewarded for their efforts.

Freshman goalkeeper Roman Celentano was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Week after making just his third and fourth career starts this past week.

Celentano saved three of the 13 shots faced against Kentucky in a 0-0 draw and followed that up with a two-save performance against Michigan in a 1-0 victory. The weekly honor was Celentano’s first of his career.

Sophomore defender Jack Maher was also recognized for his part in the Hoosiers’ big week as Top Drawer Soccer named Maher to its Team of the Week. This is the second-straight week Maher has found himself as a member of Top Drawer Soccer’s team of the week.

The MAC Hermann trophy watch list selection was instrumental in both of IU’s shutouts as he and Celentano teamed up a handful of times to snuff out potential goals against the Wildcats and Wolverines.

With the Hoosiers’ unbeaten streak improving to five games, they once again found themselves in the weekly United Soccer Coaches Top-25 rankings, but this time dropping down two spots to No. 6 after previously being ranked No. 4. 

The toughest stretch of IU’s schedule is now likely behind it, and with five games remaining in the regular season, IU has plenty of time to move back up the rankings and put itself in a good position before the postseason.