Friday, Sept. 20

As classes begin Singing Hoosiers show choir begin auditions

gasinginghoosiers082320.jpg

As classes begin amid the COVID-19 pandemic —forcing much of IU to move online —  Singing Hoosiers a cappella group is taking video audition submissions from Aug. 24 to Aug. 28. The auditions are open to all majors across campus, according to a press release from Singing Hoosiers.  

Those interested in auditioning must submit a video of themselves singing a 32-bar selection of music.People can sing classical, pop, musical theater or jazz music and can ask to be accompanied by a piano.  

There will be a live portion of the audition, including vocalization and sight singing. Students have to wear a mask and stand 6 feet away from the piano. The live portion will take place in Room 066 in the Musical Arts Center. 

The Singing Hoosiers’ activities for the fall semester will be a mix of in-person and online.

Rehearsals and recordings throughout the semester will be in-person and take place in small groups of four to 10 people in well-ventilated rooms that allow for social distancing on campus. . Singers will have to wear masks and position themselves to be 10 feet away from others at all times. These rehearsals will be condensed with each small ensemble meeting twice a week over a four-week period. 

Chris Albanese, director of Singing Hoosiers, was hired in 2017. He said joining Singing Hoosiers is a great way for students to find their home away from home. 

“The tradition and the connections forged within this group serve to provide hope and friendship for so many,” Albanese said.

When selecting people from auditions Albanese said he thinks about the vocal balance of the entire group. He said he knows auditions can be scary for people but he does not expect people to be perfect at everything they’re asked to do in the audition.

“You’re never asked to be perfect, just prepared,” Albanese said. 

Carly Bias, student manager for Singing Hoosiers, has been with the group for four years. She said becoming a member of Singing Hoosiers is a great opportunity to make IU feel more like home. 

“To find a community as close-knit and caring as the Singing Hoosiers is extremely difficult,” Bias said

Singing Hoosiers has been Grammy-nominated and has performed for 70 years. The group sings a wide variety of music, much of it rooted in the Great American Songbook, according to the release. 

She remembers feeling welcomed by the student managers who reached out to her during her own audition and Albanese himself.

“You could tell that he was on your side while you were auditioning,” she said.

This year only one of the student managers attended the auditions and she said she hopes everyone new still feels welcomed.

Malhar Lakshman is a freshman studying finance and marketing who has been involved with music for about 15 years. He said Singing Hoosiers is one of the reasons he decided to come to IU because he wanted a school where he could focus on his academics and passion for music.

He said the precautions the Singing Hooisers were taking at auditions made it feel safe to him.

“I think it was the best thing we could have done,” Lakshman said.

Shelby Anderson contributed to this reporting.

This article has been updated for clarification.