Monday, Sept. 23

Quarterback Jack Tuttle ‘next man up’ for IU football

2020_11_28_DERYN_IUVSMARYLAND_7.jpg

IU head coach Tom Allen has been preaching about the next man up all season, a necessary thought process in a season as abnormal as this.

After losing sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. for the season with a torn right ACL, that strategy will be put to the test this weekend against No. 16 Wisconsin.

Sophomore quarterback Jack Tuttle is set to start his first career game, but Allen has confidence in Tuttle to perform well under the pressure.

“This is why he came here,” Allen said in a Monday Zoom conference. “He was a highly recruited player out of high school and has a lot of arm talent. He just needs to also understand he’s got a lot of talent around him.”

Allen said Tuttle’s throwing ability has showed up in practices and will help him make difficult throws in games. Being able to read coverages and get senior receivers Whop Philyor and Ty Fryfogle the ball can elevate his game.

“We’re excited for Jack,” offensive coordinator Nick Sheridan said. “Obviously not the circumstances you want, but we have a lot of confidence in Jack. He works really hard, he prepares his tail off. He has a lot of talent.”

Tuttle has played in six total games, mostly in low pressure scenarios late in games. 

After entering for Penix against Maryland, Tuttle completed all five of his pass attempts for 31 yards and a two-point conversion.

"You can't even emphasize enough the critical component of next man up,” Allen said. “Always be ready because you just never know."

Sheridan said the moment didn’t seem too big for Tuttle. He’s prepared enough each week that he was confident when he entered the game.

The play calling will be different for Tuttle than it was for Penix. Sheridan said he will cater to what Tuttle likes to do and what he does best.

“Every quarterback that I’ve ever coached and ever been around, they each see the game a little differently,” Sheridan said.  

Sheridan said there is a lot of carryover between what Tuttle and Penix are comfortable with regarding play calls. 

Allen said Tuttle’s situation is much different than Payton Ramsey’s, who replaced Penix last season. Ramsey, now the starter at Northwestern, had experience starting games while Tuttle is much more raw.

Freshman Dexter Williams II will be the backup quarterback, Allen said. Williams has not played in a game yet for IU.

Sheridan said Williams hasn’t been getting many reps running the team outside of scout practice since the season started, but played consistently during fall camp. 

“Just like Jack, Dexter doesn’t have any limitations from a talent standpoint,” Sheridan said. “He can make all the throws. He’s athletic.”

After Penix left the game against Maryland, Allen said the team responded by continuing to play better and better. 

“To me that’s indicative of this football team,” Allen said. “This is a tight group of guys. This is a close knit family that trusts each other, loves each other and cares about each other.”

IU will have to adapt without the Big Ten’s leading passer as it prepares to face Wisconsin.

“Bottom line is setbacks and adversity is part of this life,” Allen said. “As we told our team, even last week, how you respond to these challenges define who we are.”