Saturday, Sept. 7

opinion letters

LETTER: Local government seeks citizen input on redistricting

letters_filler.png

On Oct. 4, 2021, Gov. Eric Holcomb signed legislation establishing Indiana's electoral maps for the next 10 years. The maps will maintain the current legislative supermajority and produce little competition, despite the demand throughout Indiana for fair maps and citizen input. 

But the story doesn’t end here — the fight for fair maps for Indiana will continue. In the meantime, local redistricting is underway, and the local governments are taking citizen input. 

The Monroe County Board of Commissioners has appointed four county residents to the Precinct and District Boundary Advisory Committee. This committee will make recommendations to the commissioners regarding precinct boundaries and the district boundaries for County Council and Commissioners.

The City of Bloomington is still seeking members for the Citizens’ Redistricting Advisory Commission, which will recommend new boundaries dividing the city into six council districts. The commission will be evenly divided by political affiliation: three Democrats, three Republicans and three independents. One member of each political designation will be a full-time student at IU-Bloomington. 

Here’s your chance to get in on the ground floor of civic engagement! For more information and the application, people can visit the Citizens' Redistricting Advisory Commission page on the City of Bloomington’s website. 

Ann Birch, co-president, League of Women Voters of Bloomington-Monroe County