Friday, Sept. 20

Jackson-Davis, Indiana men’s basketball set to square off with Edey, Purdue again

spiumbbpreview022423.jpg

The moment appeared a temporary freeze in time — senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis, left arm cocked back, right forearm firmly planted in the chest of Purdue’s junior center Zach Edey, whose arm is straight up to contest the shot, both men lingering in the air knowing something had to give. 

Jackson-Davis' goal, on a drive that started from the top of the arc, was to place an exclamation point on top of the game for then-No. 21 Indiana men’s basketball. The Hoosiers were up one point with less than two minutes to go. Edey’s goal: deny the chance for him to come close to the rim. 

The two behemoths have been locked in battle all season, well beyond the one game in which they faced off so far. While Edey has been the favorite for the National Player of the Year all season, Jackson-Davis has earned respect of his own over recent months, moving into a tie for second in Player of the Year odds. 

Edey holds the bragging rights from the first matchup, outproducing Jackson-Davis' 25 points, seven rebounds and five blocks with his own 33 points, 18 rebounds and three blocks, but Indiana earned the last laugh in a 79-74 victory

No. 17 Indiana’s shot at grabbing the Big Ten title has faded over recent games as the Hoosiers have dropped two of three. Indiana still sits in third in the conference at 10-7, while No. 5 Purdue, who has dropped three of its last five, remains well ahead of the pack in first place. 

In their first clash, head coach Mike Woodson said Indiana game planned to stop Edey, a plan he said he thought worked for the first half. 

“You know, they made the adjustments the second half, and Edey got loose,” Woodson said in a Zoom conference Thursday. “I mean, he is just a load. I haven't seen very many teams stop him this season.” 

Jackson-Davis said his goal as a defender is to push Edey out away from the basket, forcing him into a double team instead of allowing him to turn and shoot close to the rim. 

Compared to last year, Edey’s taken a massive leap forward. He’s averaging 31.4 minutes compared to 18.9 minutes last season. His rebounds are up by five, and he’s scoring nearly 8 more points per game. Both Woodson and Jackson-Davis credit his improvements to being in better shape. 

“This year, him being able to play the whole game at 7-foot-4, it’s remarkable,” Jackson-Davis said. “He’s really trained himself and conditioned himself to do so. It’s hard when he’s out there. He’s huge, he’s a defensive focal point.” 

Jackson-Davis himself has grown into a player defenses flock to guard as he improved over his four years, including in parts of his game like blocking shots and taking the ball up the floor, aspects he credits to Woodson’s coaching. He’s also done it with the weight of expectations from Indiana’s fanbase, and he says he does he best to block out the noise. 

Despite scoring 19 points, seven rebounds and five assists against Michigan State on Tuesday, Jackson-Davis said it was probably his worse game in 12 or 13 games. 

“It’s a bad game, yeah, seven turnovers are never okay, but at the same time I’ve just got to play ball,” Jackson-Davis said. 

That matchup — Jackson-Davis and Edey — will take center stage again Saturday, with fans from both programs having the chance to watch two National Player of the Year candidates battle once again. 

“That’s, as a coach, what I live for — watching so much talent in college basketball,” Woodson said. “They didn't fail anybody who was watching because both of them played extremely well, and I can't help but think it's going to be the same way come Saturday.” 

*** 

Time resumed and gravity reared its head, ending the freeze-frame moment between Jackson-Davis and Edey. The men met in the air, seemingly bouncing off each other.  

Jackson-Davis adjusted his shot, attempting to toss a layup off the glass, but his attempt fell short and into the hands of Race Thompson, who picked up a foul. Edey, without touching the ball, was credited for a block after denying Jackson-Davis' attempt — but the moment ended with a stalemate, neither getting the better of the other. 

The 7 p.m. tip-off Saturday in West Lafayette provides a second chance. Jackson-Davis and Edey, once again, will lock horns in an attempt to best each other and lay claim to Player of the Year chances. Purdue looks for revenge, while Indiana hopes to sweep its in-state rival.  

Something has to give. 

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.