Saturday, Sept. 7

business & economy bloomington

2023 Taste of Bloomington canceled

canofestival030923-png

Downtown Bloomington Inc. announced on Feb. 23 the Taste of Bloomington festival originally planned for June 17, has been canceled.  

The event was canceled due to increased supply costs, small location size and how the restaurant industry is still recovering and changing since the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a Facebook post from the Taste of Bloomington. 

Organizers planned to hold the event at Showers Common on 401 N. Morton St., according to their website.  

[Related: Bloomington to start construction of B-Line Connection Project]

Taste of Bloomington has served as an annual gathering for Bloomington residents for more than 40 years and featured over 40 local Bloomington restaurants. The festival also previously featured live performances from local and regional bands as well as children’s activities, according to their website.  

Because Taste of Bloomington has more 40 restaurants participate, a committee consisting of 500 volunteers and welcomes 10,000 attendees at their festival each year, organizers  believe it is not realistic to host the event this year in their former model of operations because of financial struggles.  

[Related: Dave's Hot Chicken opens Bloomington location]

Despite the Taste of Bloomington festival being canceled, there will still be other outdoor events this summer.  

The Bloomington Community Farmers Market at Showers Common begins April 1 and Food Truck Friday at Switchyard Park begins April 7. The Granfalloon festival partner with the IU Writers Conference and the Bloomington Handmade Market to host an event on June 10 on Kirkwood Ave. Constellation Stage & Screen will host Arts Fair on the Square on June 24 at the Courthouse Lawn and the Bloomington Gallery Walk will feature 14 different galleries across one mile on June 2 and July 7 from 5-8 p.m. around Bloomington.