Friday, Sept. 20

NTT IndyCar Series kicks off 2023 campaign in St. Petersburg, Florida

spiuindycarpreview030223-png

The NTT IndyCar Series returns to the streets of St. Peterburg, Florida at noon this Sunday, with the season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. Team Penske’s Scott McLaughlin is looking to score back-to-back wins in the season-opening race, after winning his first career IndyCar race in St. Petersburg, Florida last March. 

Last season’s fight for the championship was intense. There were five drivers who could’ve won the championship entering the season’s final race at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California. Although it was a longshot as they needed championship leader Will Power to score 34 points or less for any driver other than Power to clinch the championship. 

Team Penske’s Will Power was crowned champion after the season finale, and although he could be in for a second championship in a row, he will have to fend off the elite competition in six-time champion Scott Dixon and two-time champion Josef Newgarden. 

At least 27 cars will be entered in every race this season, up from 25 last season and the most since the 2011 season. This season also brings four full-time rookie drivers in AJ Foyt Racing’s Benjamin Pederson, Juncos Hollinger Racing’s Agustin Canapino, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Marcus Armstrong and Dale Coyne Racing’s Sting Ray Robb. 

As with every new season, there are familiar drivers in new places such as Alexander Rossi at Arrow McLaren and Kyle Kirkwood at Andretti Autosport.  

The Grand Prix of St. Petersburg takes place on a 1.8 mile, 14-turn street circuit that features a runway of the Albert Whitted Airport as the front straightaway and turn 14. Turns two through 10 are on the city streets of St. Petersburg, with turns 11, 12, and 13 taking the drivers back onto airport property. 

In recent years, hectic starts and restarts are a frequent occurrence as the drivers are bunched up going into the first two turns. When applying their brakes to make turn one, a sharp right-hand turn, the track narrows, causing the drivers to often be three-wide in that area of the circuit. Sunday’s start will be no different, a breathtaking start to what is sure to be a season full of intense, yet exciting racing.  

The stars of IndyCar will be on track for the first time from 3 to 4:15 p.m. on Friday for the first practice. Drivers will return to action on Saturday with the second practice being from 10 to 11 a.m. and qualifications being held from 2:15 to 3:30 p.m. Raceday begins with a morning warmup from 9 to 9:30 a.m., followed by the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg at noon.