Saturday, Sept. 7

arts community events music

WIUX Culture Shock festival to take place Saturday

entcultureshock041223.jpg

WIUX’s 35th annual Culture Shock music festival will take place from 1-10 p.m. on April 15 at Showalter Fountain. This is the first time in three years the festival will be held in person, and it will feature live music from local artists and a variety of food trucks and booths, such as Audio Student Production, Girls Rock Bloomington and Music Industry Creatives at IU. 

The free festival works to bring together musicians from all around Indiana. The featured bands include Weston Estate, The Pops, Superlunar, Home Phone, Pat and the Pissers, Inner Peace and The Skaaholics.  

Bella Brown-Sparks, the WIUX festival operations director, is overseeing Culture Shock event planning. Brown-Sparks said they hope everyone in Bloomington will attend.  

Related: [How to burn a couch: a look into the making of Burning Couch festival

“It’s open to everyone, always has been,” Brown-Sparks said. “I wanted to highlight music that isn’t really popular with the college music scene.”  

When creating the set for Culture Shock, Brown-Sparks said they personally talked to various artists at local shows and asked them to play beforehand. Their goal this year was to invite more artists from the local punk scene to appeal to IU students.  

“I wanted to bridge the gap between Bloomington’s DIY scene that’s existed for 30-plus years and the new scene that’s been happening among students,” Brown-Sparks said.  

Students who want to get involved with WIUX can visit its Instagram or website.