Friday, Oct. 18

arts pop culture

COLUMN: Barbenheimer: the hero we need, but don’t deserve

entbarbenheimer-illo

On July 21, the cinematic event of the year hit theaters across the country. 

It was the battle to end all battles – Greta Gerwig’s crowd-pleasing “Barbie” and Christopher Nolan’s dramatic “Oppenheimer” were unleashed upon the world. But instead of a fight, something beautiful happened: a cultural phenomenon. 

“Barbenheimer,” as it’s been referred to by many fans, has taken the world by storm. According to AMC, over 20,000 AMC Stubs members booked showings of the two films on the same day. It’s nearly impossible to know how many others across the country did the same – but I know we can add at least one to the tally, since I did. 

The double feature of the two films can’t be more bizarre, which is why it captivated so many audience members, including myself. “Barbie” is bright, fluffy and pink. “Oppenheimer” is dark, abstract and rated-R. The cognitive dissonance between the fun musical numbers of “Barbie” and the intense courtroom scenes of “Oppenheimer” couldn’t be stronger. 

In reality, however, the two films complement each other surprisingly well. In their own unique manners, they highlight the American experience through the voices of two premiere filmmakers of our time. 

The pair stand out as two of the most unique films of the year. They aren’t sequels of existing properties. They aren’t part of cinematic universes. They’re simply good films that resonate with audiences. 

There are lots of reasons why “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” work so well together, but one that I came away thinking a lot about is their diverse approach to our American reality. They both touch on problems that continue to plague our society in interesting ways. 

For “Barbie,” it’s sexism, capitalism and the patriarchy. The film uses comedy as well as heartfelt moments to show how a myriad of women are impacted by the unfair standards projected onto them by society. While it’s not the most subtle of messages, it doesn’t need to be. How I wish the patriarchy was just about horses. 

“Barbie” ultimately ends up projecting a positive message. By seeing each other as equals, no matter our gender, we can create a society better than ourselves.  

For “Oppenheimer,” it’s science, politics and the intersection between the two. In the development of the atomic bomb, politics played a major role in how the bomb was created and ultimately used. Science is not a neutral discipline. It is enacted by humans, who are just as human as the rest of us. 

This film ends on a negative note. After a pandemic and a growing climate crisis, most of us are intimately familiar with how science can be twisted and denied to create a narrative. We’ve ended up lighting up the atmosphere, even if it wasn’t our intention. 

We’re in a time of distinctive turmoil in our history. These two films perfectly sum up both the social and political aspects that contribute to that turmoil. While they come to different conclusions, I see them both as definitively American cinema. 

I’m incredibly glad to see these two films succeeding. “Barbie” is about to hit $800 million worldwide. “Oppenheimer” has just surpassed $400 million.  

Gerwig and Nolan are two of the most interesting auteurs of our time. They both push the boundaries of high-budget studio films: Gerwig made a seemingly-simple toy advertisement into a biting comedy, while Nolan made a dialogue-heavy historical drama into a summer blockbuster. I can’t wait to see where the two go next after their latest successes. 

We’ll probably be seeing more double features like this. There’s already been talk of “Saw Patrol,” since “Saw X”’s release was moved to Sept. 29, the same date for the children's film “PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie.” While it doesn’t have the same wow factor as Barbenheimer, it still sounds like fun. 

If you still haven’t watched Barbenheimer, get on that. It’s a great excuse for a lovely night out with your friends. So order your matching pink cowboy hats and get those tickets – tonight will be the bomb.