Friday, Sept. 20

Indiana Athletics to survey fans, begin examining upgrades to Memorial Stadium

spiufbrenovationbrief081523.jpg

Indiana Athletics has begun to examine potential opportunities for upgrades to Memorial Stadium, per a Monday afternoon press release.

According to the release, IU Athletics partnered with Nations Group — a professional services development firm — to examine areas of development for the stadium. While the project is merely entering an exploratory stage, IU Athletics plans to survey ticket buyers, fans, donors and more regarding methods to enhance the stadium experience.

“Among the topics covered in the survey are a reimagined concourse, new social gathering spaces, upgraded concessions and restrooms, and a series of enhanced premium seating options and locations,” the release said.

Since Memorial Stadium became home to Indiana football in 1960, two major renovations have occurred. The first, in 2009, saw the completion of the North End Zone Student-Athlete Development Center, connecting the east and west stands.

Upgraded locker rooms, offices and strength and conditioning spaces concluded the overhaul, and in 2018, Indiana created the IU Excellence Academy in the south end of the stadium. The dual-purpose facility aimed to grant student-athletes improved medical, rehabilitation and nutrition resources while enhancing viewing for spectators with a new “bowl effect.”

The two renovations totaled $86 million, though it is currently unclear how much IU is prepared to spend on this project. According to the release, stakeholders will receive the aforementioned survey beginning Aug. 16.

“As we enter this exploratory stage, my hope is that Hoosier fans will join in on this endeavor by providing this much-needed input,” IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Dolson said. “Our goal is to identify and deliver on what our fans (want) from their gameday experience, which makes this feedback a critical component of doing something of this magnitude the right way."