Thursday, Sept. 19

Indiana football to face Kyle McCord as Ohio State’s starting quarterback

spiufbosuqbbrief082923.jpeg

Ahead of Saturday’s clash between No. 2 Ohio State and Indiana, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day has announced his team's starting quarterback. 

Junior Kyle McCord will make just the second start of his career Saturday when he trots onto the field to face the Hoosiers. McCord’s lone prior start came against the University of Akron in 2021 in place of injured quarterback C.J. Stroud. 

McCord has appeared in 12 total games, completing 41 of 58 passes attempted for a total of 606 yards. He has thrown three touchdowns alongside a pair of interceptions.  

While the Buckeyes have made their quarterback decision public, Indiana head coach Tom Allen has said that he won’t announce his team’s starting quarterback leading up to the season opener. 

“I think the bottom line is that we do feel like we have two guys that are really good players,” Allen explained on Aug. 23. “Excited about that.” 

Indiana’s defensive unit struggled mightily in 2022 allowing 33.92 points per game while scoring just 23.25 points per game. 

The Buckeyes will travel to Bloomington for Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. kickoff against the Hoosiers. The matchup will be televised on CBS.  

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.