Friday, Oct. 18

sports volleyball

Indiana goes 0-3 in their West Coast travels at the Walter Pyramids

spiuvbrecap090423.jpeg

Indiana volleyball traveled to the Walter Pyramid, home of Long Beach State University. Walter Pyramid is one of only four pyramid-shaped structures in all the United States, and the only one to be a collegiate sports venue. The Hoosiers participated in a four-school invitational featuring the host Long Beach State, the University of California Los Angeles and the University of Washington.  

Indiana opened play Aug. 31 against Long Beach State. The Hoosiers fell 3-1 in the tough-fought match, which featured two extra point sets and three sets that were decided by only two points. Senior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede posted a career-high of 13 kills in the four-set match. 

The Hoosiers struggled defensively throughout the match as Long Beach was able to out dig Indiana 57-39. Junior setter Camryn Haworth passed 100 career service aces with two in the match. 

On Sept. 1, the Hoosiers played future Big Ten opponent UCLA. The Hoosiers fired off quickly in the first set, hitting a scorching .476 as a team. They took the first set in commanding fashion 25-18. After the first set, UCLA found its stride, and Indiana began to struggle with the Bruins’ stellar defense. UCLA recorded 16 blocks and 53 digs in the four-set win.  

Despite taking the first set, the Hoosiers lost the second set 14-25. However, the third and fourth sets were more tightly contested, as Indiana lost both sets 21-25 and 25-27. Despite the struggles offensively, junior outside hitter Mady Saris and sophomore outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles combined for 23 kills on the night.

Finishing out the weekend, the Hoosiers faced another future Big Ten opponent in Washington. Although it was another tightly contested match, the Hoosiers lost in three straight sets, 24-26, 22-25, 21-25. Kjolhede and graduate middle blocker Kaley Rammelsberg both had nine kills a-piece. The Hoosiers’ biggest struggle was behind the service line, committing 10 errors in the three-set defeat. 

Despite the three losses on the weekend, the Hoosiers battled and were able to keep each set close until the end. The three squads they faced are perennial powerhouses in the college volleyball world, allowing Indiana to head home with valuable experience against prominent programs.  

Next up, the Hoosiers travel to Austin Peay University in Clarksville, Tennessee to compete in the Stacheville Challenge. The Hoosiers will face Valparaiso University, Lindenwood University and host Austin Peay University Friday and Saturday. 

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (.@mblivingston_) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.