Saturday, Sept. 21

city crime & courts

Former Indiana football’s Jamison Kelly arrested in connection to shooting death of Jackson State student

spiufbkellybrief102323.jpg

Former Indiana football’s Jamison Kelly was arrested Oct. 20 in connection to the fatal shooting of a Jackson State University student on Oct. 15 in Jackson, Mississippi, according to a report from WLBT3

Kelly, who was charged with accessory after the fact to murder, was accused of driving Joshua Brown, a 19-year-old Jones County Junior College football player, away from the crime scene. Brown, who was charged with murder and possessing a gun on school property, allegedly shot Jaylen Burns, a Jackson State University student, at University Pointe Apartments. 

A warrant for Kelly’s arrest was issued Oct. 18, and he was denied bond in the Hinds County Court on Monday. According to an additional report from WLBT3, Kelly will be moved to the Raymond Detention Center until his preliminary hearing. 

According to WLBT3’s report, Johnnie McDaniels, the Hinds County Court Judge, considered Kelly to be a flight risk. 

On Sept. 28, Indiana head coach Tom Allen announced Kelly — who joined the Hoosiers prior to this season — would no longer be with the team. He appeared in one game against Indiana State University on Sept. 8 as a special teams player. 

Kelly spent a year with Louisiana Tech University in 2020-21 before transferring to Jones College last season. The 21-year-old defensive back signed with Indiana on Dec. 21 of last year and officially enrolled in early January of 2023.