Saturday, June 29

Indiana football flips in-state recruit from Big Ten foe, adds 3-star defender

spiufbbrief062624.jpg

Indiana football’s 2025 recruiting class ranks inside the top 45 nationally after a pair of 3-star recruits chose to make Bloomington their future home. 

The Hoosiers flipped the commitment status of receiver Davion Chandler on Tuesday, Chandler announced via X. The Indianapolis native and Lawrence North High School product previously committed to Illinois on June 9 before reversing course and picking the in-state Hoosiers. 

The 6-foot, 170-pound Chandler is a top-800 recruit nationally and the No. 119 receiver in the class of 2025, according to 247sports. Chandler visited Bloomington on June 21 and is now the Hoosiers’ fourth-best commitment, trailing only safety Byron Baldwin, defensive lineman Jhrevious Hall and cornerback Jaylen Bell. 

Chandler was an important commitment for head coach Curt Cignetti, but he wasn’t the Hoosiers’ newest verbal pledge for long. 

On Wednesday, Nashville native Kyler Garcia announced his decision to join Cignetti and the Hoosiers via X, becoming the 17th player and third defensive lineman to do so. Garcia stands 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, and visited Bloomington this past weekend. 

Garcia, who attends Pearl-Cohn High School, had offers from several high Division I schools, including the University of Georgia and Big Ten rivals Purdue and Wisconsin. 

With their fast-growing class continuing to fill up, the Hoosiers’ 2025 contingent slots in at No. 44 in the country and No. 12 in the newly expanded 18-team Big Ten, according to 247sports. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.