Friday, Oct. 18

Yogi Ferrell headlines Indiana’s roster for The Basketball Tournament

spiubbtbt062624.jpg

The 2024-25 Indiana men’s basketball season is still roughly four months away, but some of the Hoosiers’ former stars will hit the hardwood in a televised competition next month. 

Indiana will be fielding an alumni team named Assembly Ball in The Basketball Tournament, a $1 million, winner-take-all event set to air on all FOX networks. 

More additions to the roster can be made before competition begins, but Assembly Ball, with help forming from Hoosier great Christian Watford (2009-13), released its initial six-man lineup Wednesday.  

• Forward Miller Kopp (2021-23) 
  • Guard Devonte Green (2016-20) 
  • Forward Juwan Morgan (2015-19) 
  • Forward Troy Williams (2013-16) 
  • Guard Yogi Ferrell (2012-16) 
  • Guard Jordan Hulls (2009-13) 

Kopp is the lone player from the Mike Woodson era on the roster. After transferring from Northwestern after the 2020-21 season, the 6-foot-7, 215-pound Kopp averaged 7 points and 2.5 rebounds per game while shooting 40.8% from distance across 70 starts in Indiana colors. 

Green, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound ball of energy from North Babylon, New York, rode a roller coaster of inconsistency across four seasons in Bloomington. He came off the bench in nearly 75% of his appearances but had electrifying flashes, culminating in a strong senior season in which he averaged 10.8 points and 2.1 assists per game in 2019-20. 

Morgan, a carryover from former head coach Tom Crean’s tenure, was a three-year staple for Crean’s successor, Archie Miller. A two-time All-Big Ten honoree, Morgan averaged 16 points and 7.8 rebounds across the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. He finished his IU career with 1,374 points to his name. 

The uber-athletic Williams earned third-team All-Big Ten honors during his final season in 2015-16 after posting 13.3 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. A three-year starter at forward, Williams was an important complementary option on a pair of Hoosier squads that made the NCAA tournament in his final two years. 

Ferrell, an Indianapolis native, enjoyed one of the most decorated four-year careers in 21st century Hoosier basketball. He started all 137 games of his career, including 36 as a freshman on the last Indiana team to be ranked No. 1 nationally. He was a two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection, an All-American his senior year in 2015-16 and ended his career as the program’s all-time leader in assists with 633. 

Hulls was perhaps Indiana’s best shooter in the 2010s, connecting on 44.2% of his 575 career attempts from deep. Now an assistant coach on Woodson’s staff, the 34-year-old Hulls is the only player from Assembly Ball still working with the program. 

Assembly Ball is the top seed in the Butler Regional and will play games from July 19-23 at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The ex-Hoosiers’ first game is against The Cru, a group of Valparaiso University alums, at 8 p.m. ET on July 23. The game will be televised on Fox Sports 1.