Sunday, June 30

city bloomington

Resources still available Thursday for those impacted by Tuesday’s severe storm

Cadebrisstorm2

Resources for those affected by Tuesday’s severe storms are still available Thursday, according to a release from Monroe County Emergency Management. 

The National Weather Service confirmed straight-line winds up to 75 miles per hour damaged homes in Monroe, Owen, Vigo and Clay counties, per the release. No significant injuries have been reported, and only “a handful” of residents reported their homes to be uninhabitable due to the storm damage.  

Residents are asked to avoid High Street until Friday. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department reported Thursday all downed powerlines have been neutralized. 

The Salvation Army shelter will close Thursday, but residents without housing due to the storm can contact Vinal Lee at 765-227-6909. 

Over 12,000 Duke Energy customers remain without power Thursday following Tuesday’s severe storms, according to the online outage map. Duke Energy estimates the majority of customers in Bloomington will have their power restored by midnight Thursday. 

Hoosier Hills Food Bank, located at 2333 W. Industrial Park Drive, will offer free emergency food distribution 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, with a limit of two households per vehicle. The community can donate to the bank at hhfoodbank.org. 

Residents who are on SNAP benefits may be eligible for lost food to be replaced by contacting Monroe County Division of Family Resources.  

Cooling centers at eight locations will continue to support those impacted by the storm through Saturday.  

Residents in need of water can pick up bottled water at Sherwood Oaks Christian Church, located at 2700 E. Rogers Road, until 8 p.m. Thursday and from 2 to 8 p.m. Friday. Residents can pick up a maximum of two cases.  

Property owners are asked to pick up any damaged trees and debris and stack it near the edge of the property. Monroe County and the City of Bloomington are making plans for city and county departments and private contractors to remove debris. According to the release, the city and county crews will only pick up vegetative debris, not home damage debris, construction debris or damaged goods.