Wednesday, July 3

arts community events music

PHOTOS: Streetdance Rewind celebrates Bloomington’s punk music history

entstreetdancecover062924-1

Bloomington punks young and old came together Saturday outside the Monroe County History Center for Streetdance Rewind, a free outdoor music festival which celebrated the scene’s history with the talents of current and classic Bloomington-based bands.

The event was hosted by the history center in conjunction with the current “Punk @ The Old Library” exhibit, curated by Hilary Fleck, which archives and displays punk music memorabilia to tell the history of Bloomington’s punk scene from the 70s to the present day.

Street dances, where bands used to stop traffic and close down the street to play without permission, were an important fixture of the Bloomington punk scene in the 1980s.

Between sets at Friday’s event the emcee and community members who were active in the scene shared stories of days gone by.

The event had live music and food trucks, and local radio station WFHB and independent record labels RTR Tapes and Let’s Pretend Records hosted tables selling music and merchandise or distributing information.

By the end of the night, the event drew a crowd of about 100 people and turned the corner of E. Sixth and N. Washington Streets into a raging concert as punk fans and musicians across generations came together to dance, sing and celebrate the scene.

entstreetdancecover062924-2
Bloomington-based band Wind performs at Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in front of the Monroe County History Center. The band has been active since 2021.
entstreetdancecover062924-3
People gather inside the Monroe County History during Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, to visit the “Punk @ The Old Library” exhibit. Visitors pointed to the exhibit and shared stories of the bands they recognized.
entstreetdancecover062924-3
Chiba Dowa performs a set at the Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in front of the Monroe County History Center. The Bloomington legacy band has been active since 1988 and ended their set with a self-titled song to uproarious applause.
entstreetdancecover062924-5
Two attendees mosh in front of the stage during Chiba Dowa’s set June 29, 2024, at Streetdance Rewind in Bloomington. Attendees young and old thrashed and danced all through the night, to the delight of performers.
entstreetdancecover062924-6
Velocity lead singer Betsy Snider sings into the mic during their set at Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in Bloomington. The band released their first demo last August.
entstreetdancecover062924-8
Situational Hazard, a student-led up-and-coming hardcore band, performs a set at Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, at the Monroe County History Center. The band is leading the charge for the next wave of punk in Bloomington.
entstreetdancecover062924-10
A crowd gathers June 29, 2024, in front of the stage on the lawn outside the Monroe County History Center for Streetdance Rewind. The event replicated street dances that happened in downtown Bloomington in the 1980s and paid homage to the history the center’s stage as a public performance space for young people.
entstreetdancecover062924-12
David Alexander, lead vocalist for Yellow Rain, closes out Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in Bloomington. Alexander shared on stage the band decided to get back together after they attended a memorial of a friend they knew from the music scene.
entstreetdancecover062924-11
An attendee moshes in a group in front of the stage during Yellow Rain’s closing set at the Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in front of the Monroe County History Center. Yellow Rain was one of the biggest bands to come out of Bloomington’s punk scene and headlined Streetdance Rewind.
entstreetdancecover062924-12
Full Stride, a contemporary hardcore band, performs at Streetdance Rewind on June 29, 2024, in front of the Monroe County History Center. The band’s lead vocalist, Chance Allen, encouraged the crowd to come support younger punk bands and assured the audience the scene is still thriving.