Tuesday, July 30

city bloomington

UPDATED: Beryl remnant places Monroe County under severe thunderstorm warning, tornado watch Tuesday

Breaking News Filler

Southwestern Monroe County is under a severe thunderstorm warning until 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

This includes 60 mile-per-hour wind gusts and possible damage to roofs, siding and trees. The NWS recommends residents move into an interior room of the bottom floor of a building and remain alert for a possible tornado. 

A severe thunderstorm warning means severe storms have been observed or indicated by radar, and it signifies immediate danger to life and property.

Monroe County remains under a tornado watch until 12 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the NWS. 

A tornado watch means weather conditions are viable for a tornado, but no tornado has been observed. The watch will be upgraded to a warning if a tornado is formed, in which case residents should immediately seek shelter in the lowest floor of a sturdy building away from windows. 

Heavy rain and lightning is expected Tuesday evening and 40-50 mile-per-hour winds Wednesday. 

The weather is a remnant of Hurricane Beryl, which made landfall Monday in Texas as a category one hurricane but was downgraded to a tropical depression.  

The storm brought heavy rain, flooding and over 80 mile-per-hour winds, leaving more than 2.5 million without power and eight dead in Texas and Louisiana. 

Residents can monitor the forecast through local weather channels and NWS live trackers. 

UPDATE: This story was updated with a severe thunderstorm warning.