Tuesday, Oct. 8

arts community events

Midsommar Market begins July 13

midsommarmarket

The Burnished Raven Co.’s Midsommar Market will take place noon to 6 p.m. July 13 at the Monroe County Convention Center. Admission is free. 

The Burnished Raven Co. is a local eclectic metaphysical shop and tattoo studio in Bloomington that sells handmade Norse Pagan provisions and ritual items. They will be hosting the market to honor the Midsommar holiday and give Bloomington locals an opportunity to celebrate this the ancient festival.  

Midsommar is a holiday celebrating the summer solstice, the longest day of the year and the mid-point of summer, according to Britannica. The holiday has roots in Scandinavian and Baltic pagan traditions where communities would gather to celebrate the abundance of summer and the power of the sun. Traditional Midsommar festivities often include dancing around a maypole, flower crown making and lighting bonfires.  

At the 2024 Midsommar Market, attendees can expect to find over 20 booths that offer a wide variety of local artisans and vendors. Additionally, the event will have booths with arts and crafts, horror aficionados and information on the different cultural traditions of Midsommar around the world. 

Vendors can apply for a booth at the market by filling out a vendor application. These can be requested via email or through The Burnished Raven’s Facebook. Once the application has been submitted, the vendor will receive an email with The Burnished Raven’s approval and further instructions for the event.  

For more information, either visit The Burnished Raven’s booth at the market or email them at theburnishedraven@gmail.com.  

RelatedSing along to ‘Mamma Mia!’ screenings at the Waldron Arts Center Constellation Stage & Screen will show special sing-along “Mamma Mia!” event July 12 and 13.