Friday, July 5

city bloomington

City of Bloomington and Monroe County to offer debris pickup following June 25 storms

cadebrispickup070324.jpeg

One week after severe storms wiped through the area, the City of Bloomington and Monroe County announced debris pickup services for residents. 

The Monroe County Board of Commissioners declared a local disaster emergency June 25 after storms, high winds and rain left over 40,000 without power, toppled trees and caused traffic light outages and other damage. 

The City of Bloomington will partner with Williams Tree Company from Martinsville, Indiana, to collect tree and vegetative debris inside city limits, according to a release. The services will begin July 8 and last for two weeks. Residents are asked to place debris piles near the street. 

A public drop-off site will be available starting from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot adjacent to the Lower Cascades baseball fields at 3601 N. Old State Road 37. Residents must show ID for access. 

Additionally, residents in need of collection services can submit a request on the city’s website. 

Monroe County will also provide pickup services for residents inside the county’s jurisdiction, according to a release. The services will start July 8 and adhere to the following schedule: 

• Perry Township from July 8-12 
  • Van Buren Township from July 15-19 
  • Clear Creek Township from July 22-29 
  • Richland Township from July 29 to August 2 
  • Salt Creek Township from August 5-9 
  • Polk Township from August 12-16 

Residents should place debris along their curbside at least a day before their scheduled dates, according to the release. Debris should not be placed on sidewalks, ditches or roadways.