Tuesday, Sept. 3

city

UPDATED: Global IT outage affects IU, Indiana services

news filler.jpg

The mass information technologies outage affecting airports, government institutions and other organizations is impacting IU, University Information Technology Services wrote in an email Friday morning to faculty, staff and students. 

An IU spokesperson said in an email to the Indiana Daily Student at 1:16 p.m. that IU services had been restored, but third-party services may still be disrupted.

"IU users are asked to contact IT support with any additional questions," the spokesperson wrote.

According to Status.IU, the global outage has affected Windows computers and servers at IU. IU websites are listed as “affected services,” as well. 

We are working to quickly assess the full scope of the impact,” the UITS email read. “IU system administrators are also actively working to restore service to impacted systems.” 

UITS will provide more updates as the situation develops, the email read. 

The outage was caused by a defective update by cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike for Microsoft users. CrowdStrike CEO George Kurtz wrote on X the issue was not a “security incident or cyberattack.”  

Although both the firm and Microsoft have said the issue has been resolved, some systems may continue to experience problems. 

Monroe County Commissioner’s Administrator Angela Purdie said the county has been “constrained” by the issues, but offices, including the courthouse, are open and functioning. 

“We’re up and running and making do with what we can,” Purdie said. 

The Indianapolis Airport posted on X that the issue has caused some airlines to have a ground stop, and travelers should check with their airlines before arriving at the terminal. 

Over 1,000 flights in the U.S. have been canceled, as Delta, United and American Airlines requested a global ground stop on all flights. 

Additionally, the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is unable to process transactions as of noon Friday, according to its website. 

UPDATE: This story was updated with a statement from an IU spokesperson.