Saturday, Sept. 7

opinion letters

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: The IDS’ almost $1 million debt has been cleared. What’s next?

ae36d323-4b6b-4199-adba-ced3660d7f2a.original.jpg

On July 3, the Indiana Daily Student received an email from Media School Dean David Tolchinsky, informing us that as of the new fiscal year, our nearly $1 million deficit was “covered by campus” with a transfer of $926,779.01. 

Tolchinsky also credited the “provost's office, who made this investment as part of their strong commitment to student media,” and brought up a five-year plan which will outline a structure for IU student media.  

We expect to share a five-year plan by fall semester, one that outlines a strategic, contemporary structure for IU student media,” Tolchinsky wrote. 

To note, in 2021, the Media School issued a news release which states, “As we work together to secure the long-term future of the IDS, and with agreement from the Office of the Provost, the IDS will be permitted to operate at a deficit for three years beginning in the 2021-22 fiscal year. Any remaining deficit after that time will be covered by The Media School.”  

Since 2021, there’s been change in Media School deans and provosts, and since 2021, it wasn’t communicated to us that this plan would be followed through. 

After following up on the July 3 email to request more information on the details of the five-year plan, Tolchinsky informed the IDS via email that he has no more information to share on the matter and provided a statement.  

“The elimination of the deficit is a relief to everyone, and I am grateful to the provost for supporting student media in this way. Right now, our staff is working on a five-year business plan that will ensure the IDS and other student media outlets maintain solid financial footing, foreground mental health for our student journalists, and model the best industry practices. We expect to have a plan to share in fall semester,” the statement reads.  

Since the start of the summer session, Tolchinsky has declined meeting requests with me and shared no financial updates regarding the IDS, besides the July 3 email. As we don’t yet know what the “five-year plan” entails, we also don’t know if the IU Student Media Commitee report that advocates for the consolidation of IU student media — the IDS, IU Student Television and WIUX — under one umbrella and financial investment from the university while maintaining editorial independence has been considered in this “five-year plan,” or at all.  

Though our deficit was cleared, we still run on a deficit, and we are projected to be back in debt. Our nearly $1 million being covered is good news and a start, but it is not a solution. We will continue to collect debt if the university does not support us. As one deficit is covered, a new one will occur, and we currently don’t know what’s next. 

As always, we are very thankful for readers like you that pick up our papers and read our stories on idsnews.com. We are grateful for the impact you make in keeping the spirit of local media and student journalism alive. Know that we will continue our fight for the IDS’ future to provide the news for readers like you. 

Readers can support us by making contributions to the IDS Legacy Fund.